Home: On #086 – DIY Security, with Dave McCabe
RESET host Dave McCabe joins us to touch on the latest news updates and talk through some of the challenges he’s facing as he looks to extend his smart home setup to be a DIY security system. Is spinning your own home security the right solution for you? We discuss some of the things you should consider.
Download this episode. And subscribe…
Or play it right now, right here:
- Leviton Launches Mass-Market Home-Automation Platform, Starting with Wi-Fi Lighting
- Whirlpool’s Wi-Fi microwave will send a notification to your phone when your food’s ready
- Ring has hired most of Zonoff’s former employees
- Hue releases motion sensor updates in Hue Labs
- WeMo Mini Smart Plug is now available
- iDevices app updated with energy monitoring, complex automation, etc.
- Stringify adds support for Insteon scenes
- Find out more about Dave’s smart home needs in RESET 18
- Dave uses SmartThings at home
- Stringify can be used to create complex event trigger logic across ecosystems
- Learn how Richard used a KeypadLinc for indicators in Richard’s garage project
- Subscribe to Dave’s great podcast, RESET, for in-depth discussion on networking, storage, and automation.
- Follow Dave McCabe on Twitter
Home: On is listed at Technology.FM, a curated collection of technology podcasts, including great shows like The Smart Kitchen Show, The HomeTech Podcast, and The NextMarket Podcast.
If you’re interested in any of the products mentioned in this show, consider using our affiliate links, below, to view or purchase them on Amazon.com. Don’t worry…nobody’s getting rich off of this; but it does help us keep the lights on (so to speak) at The DMZ.