The iPod doesn’t like certain file types. The same goes for most other portable media players. Companies only add support for so many codecs and containers and unlike a PC, it’s not possible to add your own decoders so all of your files will work.
doubleTwist aims to make content playback on PMPs as easy as drag and drop. Co-founded by Jon Lech Johansen (the guy known as DVD Jon for cracking DVD DRM back in 2002), doubleTwist is currently in public beta. It basically takes the worry out of converting/moving content to your portable device.
Using doubleTwist, users can simply drag and drop content to their device. The application takes care of conversion in the background and then uploads the converted file to said device. This makes it easy to add unsupported file types to your devices.
The app also allows you to share content with friends since you’re logged into the doubleTwist system when using the application.
I didn’t get very far with the app since it’s not yet compatible with the Microsoft Zune. According to the doubleTwist forums, this is being worked on. Being able to add Dvix, Xvid and other unsupported video files to my Zune would make my day! I can do the conversion with other apps right now but it’s a manual and drawn out process. Having an app that would do it automatically overnight and have my Zune ready in the morning would be perfect.
Again, the app is in public beta so you can probably expect regular updates and don’t be surprised if there are some bugs. So far the application supports:
- BlackBerry – We have many happy BlackBerry users and support all the recent BlackBerry models such as the Curve, Pearl, Storm, Bold and Flip.
- Sony PSP – Use doubleTwist to automatically convert your videos and sync them to your PSP; sync your iTunes playlists and photo library.
- INQ1 by INQ –
- G1 and Android phones – automatically convert your videos and sync them to your G1; sync your iTunes playlists and photo library.
- Nokia N & E Series phones, including the N95, E61i, E62, and many others such as the 5800 XpressMusic- automatically convert your videos and sync them to your Nokia; sync your iTunes playlists and photo library.
- Sony Ericsson Walkman & Cybershot phones
- Windows Mobile 5.0/6.0 platform (e.g. Treo, HTC, Samsung) — currently PC only, will be available for the Mac very soon – automatically convert your videos and sync them to your Windows Mobile; sync your iTunes playlists and photo library.
- LG Viewty and Shine – automatically convert your videos and sync them to your LG; sync your iTunes playlists and photo library.
- Motorola (V9 and V3xx) and most Razr phones
- Sansa View and Sansa e200 series
- Amazon Kindle – sync audio files to your Kindle
- iPhone — load your iPhone with movies and let doubleTwist make the necessary conversions; iTunes playlists are also supported (PC only but Mac coming soon)
- iPod — load your iPod with movies and let doubleTwist make the necessary conversions; iTunes playlists are also supported (PC only but Mac coming soon)
- Nintendo DSi — coming soon! Load your DSi with music and let doubletwist do the necessary conversions
- Most digital cameras
- Most flash-memory-based camcorders are supported
***List of compatible devices taken from the doubleTwist website. Subject to change without notice***
Recent Canadian government research has shown that cigarette smoking not only impairs sexual ability, it actually causes shrinkage of the male sexual “equipment.”
Wow! If that is true, we need to get the word out ASAP! Maybe the warning on the cigarette packs should be updated to reflect this new information.
How about something like this:
* Warning: These cigarettes are king size — how about you?
* Warning: Smoking sections in restaurants aren't the only things getting smaller.
* Warning: If you don't reduce your smoking, your smoking will reduce you.
* Warning: Smoking may lead to ridicule on your honeymoon.
* Warning: Smoke rises, but you may not.
* Warning: Second-hand smoke can be harmful to children — That is.. if you're capable of conceiving any.
* Warning: Cigarettes get shorter the more you puff — so do you.
* Warning: How can you enjoy a smoke afterwards, if there's no before?
* Warning: The only thing left after a smoke is a dead stub.
* Warning: Don't throw lit cigarettes in the urinal — you might not have the range to put them out.
Have a nice day
djs in new jersey