Welcome back to Seen in HD! After surviving a near catastrophe when Phil’s recording software crashed at the end of taping this week’s show (yay temp files!) we’re back for another look at all things HD.
This week we take a look at some newly announced Blu-ray titles and an “in your dreams” Blu-ray player announcement from McIntosh before jumping into a Blu-ray review of the stunning Baraka.
Shot in 1992 in the rare 70mm format and rescanned at 8k resolution for the entirely new Blu-ray transfer, Baraka is an examination of life on planet Earth. From Tibetan monks to the hustle and bustle of Tokyo, Baraka is one of, if not the, most beautiful Blu-rays Phil’s seen yet. Presented in the original 2.20:1 aspect ratio with a DTS HD Master Audio soundtrack, Baraka is what Blu-ray was meant to be.
A look at the new Animal Planet show Monsters Inside Me (1080i) heads up the past week’s HD highlights, and looking forward, the History Channel premieres a new show called Marked(1080i) that looks at the history of tattoos. After a HD Sportsman highlighted by the Little League World Series final Sunday at 3 p.m. on ABC (720p) (note I mistakenly said it was ESPN on the show), Phil and Adam finally have some exciting Blu-ray releases to look forward to as they look at the Sept. 1 slate.
- News and Info – Blu-ray announcements Say Anything, Cars, Rocky box set, McIntosh Blu-ray player
- Blu-ray review – Baraka (1080p, VC-1, 2.20:1 AR, DTS-HD MA 5.1) ($13.49 Amazon)
- Seen in HD – Monsters Inside Me on Animal Planet (Mondays 9 p.m. 1080i)
- HD Picks for the Week – Little League Worlds Series final (Sunday ABC 3 p.m. 720p), Marked (History, 9 p.m. Thursday 1080i), CMA Music Fest (Monday, ABC 8 p.m. 720p)
- HD Sportsman – See the full HD Sportsman at Phil’s Blog Living High Def
- Blu-ray releases Sept. 1 – Highlighted by Braveheart, Gladiator, and Earth.
Click here to download Episode 2!